[APG Public List] Two Death Dates

Cafi Cohen cfcohen at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 4 12:16:40 MST 2010

Hi Bob, FWIW, www.Italiangen.org indexed this as 1 Jan 1916 (an indexer’s opinion ☺). The Brooklyn Daily Eagle online runs 1842-1902 http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Default/Skins/BEagle/Client.asp?Skin=BEagle, too early for your purposes.

Often Brooklyn deaths are reported in NY Times. There are two good ways to access these: (1) through the Ancestry  http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=50000&enc=1  Historical Birth, Marriage, and Death Announcements, 1851-2003 or (2) directly through the NY Times Archives at www.nytimes.com, this last suggestion kind of tricky to negotiate, but there is a lot more content there, including some articles about Alexander Law, Brooklyn, organizer of a hobo advocate organization??? Don't know if he is yours.

I did a quick search at the NY Times website and found a death notice for Mrs. Georgie Emma Law, wife of Alexander Law . . . . Brooklyn . . . on Aug 17, 1915. IF this is his spouse, it provides indirect evidence that he is still alive in August 1915. Unfortunately, I couldn’t wrangle his death notice out of the NY Times Archive (unusual because accidents like his normally get some attention). There are probably alternate searches that could be constructed that might ferret it out.

In addition, at the Chronicling America newspapers pages at the Library of Congress site, www.loc.gov, you will find approximately 40 years of the New York Herald, roughly 1880-1920. You might want to try your searches there.

You could also check the New York City Directory pages at Footnote for 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917. These are also difficult to ferret out, please let me know if you would like to try this. The main search is NOT the way to go on this. Noting when he disappears from city directories could be helpful, especially given his death date (Jan 1) and the fact that the "as of" city directory dates tend to be April or June or July.

Best,

Cafi Cohen
Bridge To Yesterday
www.bridgetoyesterday.com
Education Chair
San Luis Obispo County Genealogical Society