[APG Public List] Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies

Christy Fillerup christy.fillerup at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 11:31:01 MST 2010

Recent discussion on educational opportunities in Family History research
led me to research what is available for my specific focus of English
research. I have ordered maps, etc. from the Institute of Heraldic and
Genealogical Studies in Kent, England, but have only recently begun to look
at their correspondence courses, "Diploma" and "Higher Certificate." Has
anyone pursued these courses? Are there any thoughts regarding how this
route of education is viewed by other professionals? By prospective clients?
In addition to the correspondence course one might also self-educate and
then take the examinations and do the appropriate assignments to prove
skill. It reminds me a bit of certification and accreditation. Candidates
may further move on to complete a dissertation and receive "Licentiateship
of the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies (L.H.G.)." More
information here:
http://www.ihgs.ac.uk/courses/qualifications_details_6.html

Thanks in advance if anyone has pursued this or other English based
education opportunities.

Christy

Millenealogy Family History Research
Salt Lake City, Utah