[APG Public List] Need some help in Italy

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Sat Feb 27 17:43:34 MST 2010

Elizabeth, I don't think we have checked the US Embassy records. In fact, had never thought of it, or even knew to think of it. How would one go about doing that?

I agree it all sounds suspicious, but all accounts, including the mother's, agree that it was a suicide. She may have been ill.  One source (I don't have much of this with me anymore) was that she had leukemia. The whole story is very tragic. She was a St. Louis socialite, met this dashing young Count from Italy then in America as a military attache, and is swept off to Rome where she was no doubt a fish out of water.

I meant to add in the last post the Carlos Pfister was supposed to be the son of an Italian Countess and that his mother & father lived in LaSfezia(?), Italy at the time of the marriage (21 DEC 1905, St. Louis).

An footnote to this story that her father, Judge Hugh Laughlin, left a huge bequest to a nunnery in Chicago (where he had moved after his scandalous divorce in St. Louis to my great-aunt Ora, '"the other woman.") He was NOT Catholic.

Please tell me how to dig deeper into the State Department records.

Craig Kilby

P.S. We now have three Craigs on this list, so I will be signing with last name hence forward.