[APG Public List] Need some help in Italy

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 17:29:16 MST 2010

>At some point before this, Hester was talking about going to the "BLUE
NUNS" in or about Rome, perhaps for health treatment.

Craig,

"Going to the nuns" or "being sent off to the nunnery" was also a
not-infrequent European-style marital separation; and your comment about
Hester's mother going over and her packing to come back home with her mother
at the time of her "suicide" suggests that a marital separation may well
have been in the offing.

For Hester to "commit suicide" would also have saved her husband a bundle of
money that he wouldn't have to pay to the nunnery--or send back to St. Louis
to support her--and would also have left him free to remarry. All things
considered, it sounds like a most-convenient "suicide" or maybe a "suicide
of convenience."

You have also checked the U.S. State Department records, I assume, for
whatever reports the U.S. embassy would have sent back to Washington?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tennessee