[APG Public List] Need some help in Italy

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Sat Feb 27 16:23:53 MST 2010

All,

A few years ago, I sent a query to this list and some one was very kind to answer promptly. However, that was two computers ago!

I am looking for newspapers in Rome around the date of 5 NOV 1912, the date that Hester Bates (Laughlin) Pfister committed suicide. This would have been major society news. She was a native of St. Louis, MO, was the first elected Queen of the Veiled Prophet Ball in 1894, and became the wife of Capt. Carlos Pfister who at the time of her death was an official in the Italian government.

The circumstances of her death are quite murky, and we are seeking news reports from Italy to compare with the accounts in the St. Louis newspapers. We do know her mother was there when it happened, in preparation of packing her belongings to come back to the States. At some point before this, Hester was talking about going to the "BLUE NUNS" in or about Rome, perhaps for health treatment.

If anyone can help in this, it is gratefully appreciated. This is in preparation for an article.

Craig Kilby