[APG Public List] Citation Style and Genealogy Software

Jacqueline Wilson jawgen at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 12:18:17 MST 2010

Bonnie:  Great Idea.  I plan to steal it and not just for genealogy.
Usually I just use End Note for non-genealogy matters, but I currently
do not have the Mac addition.

On Feb 27, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Bonnie Kohler wrote:

Donna,

 From what I've heard on the list, I don't think any of the software
can be relied upon to formulate the citations.

It is frustrating and time-consuming to learn the prescribed way to
cite them. I use FamilyTreeMaker, and I construct my own citations.

For common sources, it helps if you keep the source name brief, i.e.,
Find-A-Grave; 1930 U.S. census; and "Indiana Death Index, 1882-1920,"
Ancestry.com; and then add the necessary descriptors for each
individual citation. This method limits the number of master sources
in your software because you can use the same common master sources
over and over.

For less commonly used sources, and for the order of the descriptors
for common sources, I set up my own "Citing My Sites" document. I use
the two-column method: the name of the type of source in the first
column, and the example with the page number from _Evidence Explained_
in the second column. This way, I only have to look up a source type
once. From then on, I refer to my "cheat sheet."

I hope this makes it easier for you.

Bonnie Dunphy Kohler
APG member, Fla. Chapter