[APG Public List] Citation Style and Genealogy Software

Bonnie Kohler kohlerbj at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 27 07:55:54 MST 2010

Donna,

>From what I've heard on the list, I don't think any of the software can be relied upon to formulate the citations.

It is frustrating and time-consuming to learn the prescribed way to cite them. I use FamilyTreeMaker, and I construct my own citations.

For common sources, it helps if you keep the source name brief, i.e., Find-A-Grave; 1930 U.S. census; and "Indiana Death Index, 1882-1920," Ancestry.com; and then add the necessary descriptors for each individual citation. This method limits the number of master sources in your software because you can use the same common master sources over and over.

For less commonly used sources, and for the order of the descriptors for common sources, I set up my own "Citing My Sites" document. I use the two-column method: the name of the type of source in the first column, and the example with the page number from _Evidence Explained_ in the second column. This way, I only have to look up a source type once. From then on, I refer to my "cheat sheet."

I hope this makes it easier for you.

Bonnie Dunphy Kohler
APG member, Fla. Chapter