FW: [APG Public List] client who ignores billing

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 19:00:12 MST 2010

Larry wrote:
>I agree with your description, it's how I would proceed (and how I think
any experienced researcher would go).
 >There doesn't have to be a pattern in the research itself.  It can be fee
based (when X fee has been reached, or x hours).

Larry, perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but I think you misunderstood what
I meant by "pattern." I was not referring to a client's pattern of hiring or
our pattern of collecting fees. Let me post again the words I used, then try
to explain them differently:

"In many areas across rural America, where research is far more complex and
piecing together even a pattern might not be possible in less than 40 hours,
reporting every ten or so hours would not work. The time would be
insufficient to develop anything meaningful and clients would walk away
thinking 'once again, I got nothing from the search'."

"The 'patterns' to which I refer are evidentiary patterns developed through
correlation and analysis of seemingly disparate pieces of evidence. It can
take a considerable amount of research---not just on the elusive ancestor
but on what I call his FAN Club (Friends, Associates, and Neighbors)---to
develop patterns of migration, naming and religious practices, activities,
land ownership, etc., from which we might squeeze the first viable clues to
origin, identity, or parentage. In cases such as this, reporting after, say,
10 hours would provide the client with nothing of any obvious value.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tennessee