[APG Public List] client who ignores billing

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Feb 22 06:39:12 MST 2010

Small claims might not be an option if the client is out of state.  As for a
lawyer, I wouldn't go that route unless the unpaid bill was substantial,
otherwise you risk adding to your own loss.  I'd warn the client that I was
going to make public his/her name as a bad faith client, one to avoid in
future unless the debt was paid. Put the name openly on a blog (as long as
you can prove that the debt is owed.  Even emails between you and the
client, but hopefully some sort of written agreement.  It's a good argument
as to why even a basic contract should be used).

Maybe we need a 'hit' list somewhere of such clients, because sooner or
later they probably will want future research done.  Such a list would allow
other researchers to avoid being cheated.

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
"Historical & Genealogical Research Services"
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
LaBoswell at rogers.com