[APG Public List] Question About Materials Presentation

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 21:17:34 MST 2010

--- On Thu, 2/18/10, Jane Pearson <doumajk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sticky-notes WILL leave residue which can eventually affect the paper,
> triangular plastic clips (if that is what is referred to) DO bend the
> paper and can eventually cause tears, and pencil is better because it
> does not run and smear and eat away at paper like ink can.

     For that matter, some pencil marks do smudge, and the pressure required to mark paper with a pencil will almost always tear the fibers on the surface of the paper. (And I know of one brand of fountain pen ink which, once dry, will not run or smudge - and, when the paper is destroyed, is so durable it remains the only identifiable portion of a document. I've seen photos of the tests... It was rather eerie, seeing "disembodied" handwriting floating in an acid bath. It was developed as an "anti-forgery" ink which chemically bonds with the cellulose in paper.) There is _no_ technique which will allow you to "mark up" a section of a document without risking damage, or, at best, altering the document forever.
     That is why I developed a technique which avoids the problem altogether. Scan the document, open the digital file, highlight the relevant information there, and, if desired, print out a copy of that highlighted information. This leaves you with a pristine "original" - if the document really _is_ an original, it is the _only_ acceptable method, imo - and a reference which can be used to help anyone locate the relevant entry.
                                Ray Beere Johnson II