[APG Public List] how to cite a transcription of a birth announcement from a newspaper

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Tue Feb 16 20:19:16 MST 2010

Stewart:

Excellent advice, and also from Elissa. Personally, I would want a copy of the original newspaper article, and cite that. For lack thereof, then as you suggest below.

My genie program is Reunion for mac, and it does a wonderful job for creating source citations. Well, almost. Like most genie programs it tries to force my hand into "book" or "bible" or some other formulated pre-printed form. Fortunately, it also allows for "free form" which I can type in my own citation any way I please. (Of course using normal procedures.) I always use "free form" because nearly every source has its own personality and quirks.

If there is a single element to a citation to which we would all agree, it is this: What is your source and where did you get it? Commas, semi-colons and parenthesis are all the little details to which we should all try to adhere as consistently as possible, but the ultimate goal is to tell the reader where one obtained the information.

My .02 as Elissa says,

Craig Kilby