[APG Public List] Sample Room in 1874

Peggy Rossi peggyrossi at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 11 19:07:04 MST 2010

I have had the same question for some time and I think there is another definition out there but I have never found it. My German g-grandfather was listed in Poughkeepsie, NY, directory listings for several years as operating a sample room. No separate address was given for this sample room, only his home address. His occupations were butcher and saloon keeper, most of the time saloon keeper. He sometimes ran a beer saloon from his home address. I did come across, while googling the term a few years ago, a restaurant/bar which I believe was in Wisconsin that was called The Sample Room. If anyone can come up with another definition for sample room, I would love to know as well. I have suspected that in this case, it had something to do with alcohol sales.
Peggy Rossi
www.story-seekers.com