[APG Public List] BCG news

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 16:56:18 MST 2010

Valerie wrote:

>Oh dear, this is so discouraging. Does one really have to be so accomplished in order to earn one's CG? I was hoping to qualify but this makes me tremble in my boots!

Valerie,
Suppose we look at this from a different light. The bios below are just that: bios. If you have the BCG application guide at hand, do re-read the items on which you’ll be tested. There is no module that tests for “vice president of this” or “board member of that.” There are no extra points for serving as Chair of Whatever.  There is no qualification that you must take “this” or “that” course. Certification is based entirely on the quality of the work you submit. Many applicants acquire their skills and knowledge through independent study and hands-on practice. Some participate in the NGSQ and ProGen study groups of the Transitional Genealogists Forum, where they can learn from each other.
When you submit your portfolio, all that matters is whether your work meets the standards laid out in the Genealogical Standards Manual.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
BCG Trustee (and once-upon-a-time prez)