[APG Public List] Occupation in Census

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 13:08:14 MST 2010

I'm confused, and hoping someone can help.  Hinckley and others say  that
the 1820 and 1830 censuses collected information on the number of people
within each household engaged in agriculture, commerce or manufacturing.  I
know that the 1820 and 1830 censuses gathered aggregate statistics (of not
particularly good quality), and the 1840 census expanded the count to other
industries, but I have never seen counts within families.  Am I missing
something?

Jay Fonkert,  CG
_http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/_
(http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/)
Saint  Paul, MN

Member, Association of Professional  Genealogists
(professional profile at _www.apgen.org)_ (http://www.apgen.org)/)
Member, Genealogical  Speakers Guild
(professional profile at _http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/)_
(http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/))

CG (Certified Genealogist) is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates  after
periodic competency evaluations.