[APG Public List] Required Age of female witness to marriage1806 Virginia-source and

Barbara Vines Little, CG bvlittle at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 8 19:09:05 MST 2010

I have a reprint of the book in question (Baltimore: Clearfield Co.,
2003) the marriage is listed on p. 57. It is a synopsis of both the
marriage bond and the minister's return. Sureties are listed and the
minister's name is given. Since a guardian's name is mentioned a
permission slip  (for the marriage of an underage bride) was probably
part of the record and this is what her sister witnessed. Legal age for
marriage without consent was 21 for both bride and groom.

Barbara Vines Little, CG
PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
bvlittle at earthlink.net