[APG Public List] Required Age of female witness to marriage 1806 Virginia

Kathy Gunter Sullivan sully1 at carolina.rr.com
Mon Feb 8 15:21:30 MST 2010

Did the marriage take place before a Justice of the Peace or a minister?
If a minister, what was the religious affiliation?
I don't think the sister had to be age twenty-one under civil law (or
canonical law) to witness an 1806 marriage (and maybe not today either),
but I'd have to dig through some files to produce authoritative sources
for my off-the-cuff opinion.

Kathy

Kathy Gunter Sullivan
APG Member