[APG Public List] Occupations in 18th and 19th Centuries

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 19:34:30 MST 2010

I'm looking for something like a dictionary of occupations -- preferably
covering American occupations in the 18th and 19th centuries.  I have a
vague recollection of seeing something in the past, but I can't place my fingers
 on it.  Can anyone point me to anything?

I am aware of sources for English occupations, but not of  American.

For  those who are interested, English sources include:

Waters, Colin and Titford, John. A Dictionary of Old  Trades, Titles and
Occupations, Countryside Books  (2002).
Raymond, Stuart A. Occupational sources for genealogists: a  bibliography,
Birmingham, Federation of Family History  Societies (1996)
Hurley, Beryl, (Ed.). The Book of Trades: Or Library of  Useful Arts: Vol
1, Devizes, Wiltshire, Wiltshire Family History Society,  1991.  [at least
three volumes in this  series]

Thanks for any help anyone can  offer.

Jay Fonkert, CG

_http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/_
(http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/)
Saint  Paul, MN

Member, Association of Professional  Genealogists
(professional profile at _www.apgen.org)_ (http://www.apgen.org)/)
Member, Genealogical  Speakers Guild
(professional profile at _http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/)_
(http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/))

CG (Certified  Genealogist) is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists,  used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic competency  evaluations.