[APG Public List] Update: Anyone bought a "Direct Text" PDF from SUNY Press?

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Tue Dec 28 15:57:45 MST 2010

I got a response from SUNY Press. I indicated I would update the APG
list once I had an answer.

The "Direct Text" PDF version of a book *does *have a 180-day access limit.

As of 1 January 2011, the book I asked about will no longer be available
as a "Direct Text." A PDF version will then be offered at the same price
as the paperback edition.  It "will be accessible all time, with no time
out restrictions."

The wording of the response isn't clear as to whether this applies to
all "Direct Text" offerings or just the book I asked about. If it
applies to all SUNY Press books this will be a good way to get
scholarly, historical books without needing a new bookshelf and without
being tied to a particular e-book reader. Now if University of Texas
Press and others will also offer PDFs I will be very happy.

Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne, CG^(sm)
-- Wayne Research <http://debbiewayne.com/>

CG, Certified Genealogist is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists^(®) , used under license by board
certificants after periodic evaluation. The board name is registered in
the US Patent & Trademark Office.