[APG Public List] Anyone bought a "Direct Text" PDF from SUNYPress?

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 12:10:15 MST 2010

--- On Wed, 12/22/10, Michael Hait <michael.hait at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can PDF files “expire”? I have not experienced this, but I wouldn’t put
> anything past modern technology.

     Without necessarily endorsing _any_ particular option, I will say that, on the one hand, it _is_ possible to place restrictions on digital files. That is how libraries are able to offer e-books - they expire after a certain period. On the other hand, any limitations technology can impose, it can also circumvent.
     I am _not_ seeking to take sides on what restrictions are "reasonable" for a publisher to impose. Nor am I endorsing getting around those restrictions - I mention that it can be done lest anyone with an interest in e-publishing genealogical works should rely too heavily on such restrictions. There are _free_ programs anyone can easily find and download which will break most limitations on any PDF file created in any manner. In fact, simply printing the file, running the printout through a bulk scanner and the a good OCR program would create a copy in a few minutes.
     Again, I am _not_ saying such an action would be ethical or legal. I am simply pointing out what can be done. Don't rely on technology to protect your copyrights. It would be like relying on a latch, rather than a lock, to keep the door to your house secure... But, if are unwilling to resort to such tactics, then, yes, a publisher can put any limit you can imagine (elapsed time, number of times the file is opened, different machines it can be used on, etc.) on many digital files. Some formats don't allow for such limits - _if_ the file fully follows the standard for that format. There are files which claim to be one format, but are in reality altered from those standards in various ways.
                        Ray Beere Johnson II