[APG Public List] Definition of "head of household"

Jean Suplick jean.suplick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 10:58:53 MST 2010

Please accept my apologies if this question is off topic. I've been to the
US Census and NARA websites, and have not found an answer to this question:
In the 1810 US census, what constituted a head of household?

I have a family listed under a man's name, whom I believe to be the
16-25-year-old male in the family, based on several corraborating pieces of
information. If he's who I believe him to be, his father is dead by this
time and he is the eldest son aged 22. However, there is also a
26-45-year-old male in the household. According to the definitions and
guidelines used at the time, is it possible this elder male is *not* the
head of the household, but perhaps a farm laborer?

Thanks,
Jean Suplick
Plano, Texas