[APG Public List] Qutclaim puzzler

Dee Gibson-Roles wncgen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 19:58:25 MST 2010

I agree with Kathy.  In a quitclaim deed, as I have learned,  the owner of the
land relinquishes his own rights to the land, but does not guarantee a clear
title to the land.  In other words, the seller is saying that he is giving a
clear title of his ownership, but cannot guarantee that there are no other
encumbrances held by others which would affect a clear title.  I have seen this
done when the owners wanted to change the type of ownership they held, but could
not due to laws against selling land to oneself.  The person chose a very
trusted person and sold the land to that person who turned around and sold it
back to them.  As Kathy said, it was need to clear up a problem with the title
at times.  It would be interesting to know the price of the land when she sold
to her cousin and the price when it was sold back to her.  (I have seen several
lease-and-release deeds is SC where the price for the lease is one peppercorn.)
Dee