[APG Public List] How to find land when location unknown and no deed has been found

Barbara Vines Little, CG, FVGS bvlittle at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 3 20:13:48 MST 2010

I am assuming that you have deeds to the land but no metes and bounds
descriptions. You track the land forward or backward or both until you
get the description that allows you to create a plat of the land. In
order to locate the land you will probably have to do the same with a
number of the neighbors mentioned in the deeds until you can find an
anchor that allows you to locate the land.  Anchors are typically mouths
or forks of creeks or possibly a crossroad. It sounds easy; it isn't.
I've spent literally over a hundred hours (and sometimes more) in some
cases before I was able to successfully locate a tract.

The plat books might help you; they may be available on microfilm.

Barbara Vines Little, CG, FVGS

PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
bvlittle at earthlink.net
540-832-3473

CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certified
genealogists after periodic evaluation, and the board name is registered
in the US Patent & Trademark Office.