[APG Public List] How to find land when location unknown and no deed has been found

MFP courthouseresearcher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:58:50 MST 2010

Five men were listed on the Duplin County, NC tax lists of 1811 but no
location was found for the lands on which they were taxed. I am hoping to
find the location of those lands. Following the advice of listmembers,
during these past ten months I did the following:
1. purchased a NC Research book by Helen LEARY;
2. purchased a study of land records by LINN;
3. purchased a book on genealogical research in general by VALWOOD.

I have read every word the authors wrote in those three books on use of land
records, several times.

In neither of those books did I find any directions and/or research strategy
for locating the
lands on which those five men were taxed.

So, I went to Kenansville, Duplin Co., NC courthouse,  and, using the census
as my guide to neighbors, platted all the
neighbors' lands surrounding those of the four men remaining in Duplin
County  by 1820. I went ten persons before the person of interest and ten
persons after that person----don't know where I found that idea-----and I
used land records as closely dated to the 1811 tax listings as I could find.

Back home, I put all my little plats together, again using the census as my
guide, and lo and behold, there are a couple of "holes" in the plats.

I also looked up and copied, deeds of land that belonged to witnesses to the
deeds I platted.

Is there anyone on this list who has the time and knowledge to tell me what
next? How do I find the deeds to lands that are "holes" in my plats?
BTW: the entire time I was in Kenansville, a law firm was using something
called plat books, so I did not get to become familiar with them. The
assistant at the desk informed me the law firms' researchers take priority
when it comes to use of courthouse materials. I was in Kenansville ten days,
but only eight at the courthouse.

TIA

Mag Parker