[APG Public List] Geni, "breaking family news"

Jennifer Shoer koshka1kitty at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:45:15 MST 2010

One of my husband's first cousins also started a Geni tree. She thoughtfully
sent me a link and invited me to participate as she knew that I had been
researching the family.

What I found on Geni were the names of all of my children, my husband, his
parents, me and so on. These were all publicly available or so it seemed.
After doing a bit of reading on their site, I could only determine that all
of our information was indeed publicly available to whomever visited the
site.

I contacted the cousin and asked her to either change her privacy settings
or to remove our information, neither of which actions has she taken. In
fact, two email requests to her have gone unanswered and I can only assume
she is miffed.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with the Geni website? I joined just
briefly after the cousin requested I participate, but then took myself out
because of the privacy issue and also because of the plethora of family
'updates' I received. We already have a wonderful Shoer family Yahoo group
that serves as our family updater.

Thank you to all for your helpful input on this list. I have been lurking
since I finished the BU Certificate course in the Spring of 2009 and I have
learned so much from reading your messages.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Shoer
New Hampshire
www.scrappygenealogist.blogspot.com