[APG Public List] Geni, "breaking family news, " and a test of your skill as a genealogist

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 13:33:04 MST 2010

Elizabeth,

If I happen to be "J," I don't necessarily find this humorous but totally sad.
My guess it that someone did the merge on the New Family Search and is an
idiotic when it comes to understanding that research is supposed to be done
first before anything is merged together.  New Family Search is not working
obviously!

I'm afraid that many LDS think wrongly that if they can make connections to
deceased persons on New Family Search, that everything in there is correct.
There is no concept of actually looking up records or verifying information.  I
personally don't know how to explain this to those who want a "quick family
tree" whether they are LDS or not.  The Internet, in a way, has spread the
concept of being able to find anything quickly but whether it is correct or not
is another story.

Much of the really old dates for genealogy come from the old Family Group Sheets
that many LDS family organizations paid money to have researched.  Sadly, many
of the older genealogists made a good living from gullible LDS families
interested in getting their temple work done.  I don't have statistics on how
many of these Family Group Sheets are fabricated, but I know the number is
extremely high.  Old Family Group Sheet information was then put into the
Ancestral File by people not aware of all the mistakes, fraud, etc. in them and
then after the Ancestral File became too fragile to handle more information, the
Pedigree Resource File was created and now New Family Search.  All contain the
old garbage from almost 100 years ago.

Jeanette Daniels
Heritage Genealogical College