[APG Public List] 1939-1943 photos from LOC

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 20:23:51 MDT 2010

Helen wrote:

> This link takes a long time to download, but I think it's worth the
> wait. Photos were taken in several states and are held in the Prints and
> Photographs Division, Library of Congress. Don't know why the Denver
> Post is involved.
>
> All are identified as to place, with companies and some people also
> identified.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-fr
om-1939-1943/

Helen, thanks for the link. I had not seen this color collection from the
WPA era. It's well worth the viewing.

One of the photographers, Marion Post Wolcott, also took many b&w
photographs in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana, that I've had great use for
over the years. One of them is worth mentioning here. If anyone wishes to
better understand why census takers often missed families, take a look at
this image:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsa.8c30650/

Wolcott, who titled the photo ".riding to crossroads store to get supplies
after heavy rains" took this in June 1940!  It could easily have been 1840.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tennessee