[APG Public List] Help identifying type of hat

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 10:11:36 MDT 2010

     I'm almost sure the term would be either 'macaroni' or derived from it, although the usage in the American Colonies probably varied from British usage. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaroni_%28fashion%29> At least, Americans were proud of being "Yankee Doodles" who stuck feathers in their hats and "called it macaroni".
     I don't have time to research my guess, but I wonder, in fact, if that is exactly what this term is referring to in this case. Did soldiers deliberately stick feathers in their hats in reference to the song? Was this a deliberate counter-mockery popular among soldiers? I don't have a citation, but from anything I can recall of contemporary reaction, I suspect they may have.
                               Ray Beere Johnson II