[APG Public List] Help identifying type of hat

Judy frostfree12 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 03:47:30 MDT 2010

Judy wrote >I'm researching a Revolutionary War soldier . . . who, according to a witness to his 1781 wedding, wore a particular type of hat "such as soldiers wore" at the time. I can't  for the life of me figure out the word that's used in the document to indicate the type of hat. Looking at other words written by the J.P.  who wrote the document, it sure looks like Mcarnona or Mcarnova (the soldier's name was McCune and the Mc looks the same).<

I read it as "Mcarona."  Think of the song, "Yankee Doodle," and do a web search for "macaroni hat."

Good chuckling,
another Judy