[APG Public List] Revolutionary War records

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Sun Aug 22 11:50:11 MDT 2010

>On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Ellie Swanger <spirit76es at gmail.com>
wrote:
>I am looking for Rev War records on my 5th great grandfather.  He rec'd
land in Elbert Co. GA about 2 years before his death.

>Can anyone tell me where to find these records and what information they
would contain (if any) about the recipient?  Perhaps personal information,
date and place of birth, his residence at the time of entry into service,
what group he fought with and perhaps where he served and length of service?

Ellie, you've gotten good advice on the NARA-based Rev War records. For his
Georgia land, however, you need to look to Georgia itself, given that
Georgia was a state-land state. You did not give us a year of death for your
ancestor, so I can give you only generic advice as to the particular
category of Georgia land record you'd be seeking. As you may or may not
know, in addition to settlement grants, bounty-land grants, and others,
Georgia gave land to citizens in 8 different lotteries, in some of which RW
soldiers had extra draws. You might start your study with
http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/what_do_we_have/land_lottery/default.htm.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Tennessee