[APG Public List] [APG Members] Genealogical relationships for adoptee families

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 14:08:52 MDT 2010

Eileen,

Sorry you took it wrong.  The idea was for children to identify with the parent
or parents who raised them regardless of the "blood" line.  Not all children are
raised by loving parents and many have no clue about one side of the family or
the other because there is no contact.  That was what the distinction was for.
The program was to help these children get a sense of identity and a love of
whatever family they lived in.

Right now my oldest son has a foster child who has been in 16 other homes other
than my son, Richard's home.  He is 12 years old.  This boy has some definite
problems with his identity.  If Richard and the rest of us in the family can
help this boy realize that he can have a supportive family experience with
Richard and us (Richard's parents and siblings, friends, etc.) we will feel that
we have succeeded.  As far as genealogy goes, I will introduce him to the "love
line" concept.  I believe that he truly needs it.

Jeanette Daniels
Heritage Genealogical College