[APG Public List] Background on anywhere at any time...

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Fri Aug 13 14:24:49 MDT 2010

Michael,

As a follow up to this, I just today completed a small project for the Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library in Lancaster County, Virginia. As I wrote a while back, we abstracted, compiled and put on line all the Estate Book records for 1835-1865. (See http://mbwm.org/estates.asp) This record set is apart from wills, and well over half of the decedents during this period died without wills. This set includes inventories, accounts of sale, divisions of slaves, final distributions and other miscellaneous material. It is a real gold mine.

There was one estate book missing from this series (another period apparently had no estate book, during the Civil War). Though Estate Book 39 (1850-1854) is missing, its contents could be gleaned from the Index to Fiduciaries. This identified about another 50 decadents who had not shown up previously, and lots more information (at least in terms of documents) for people who died with a will but had no extant estate papers. If for no other reason, it provides an approximate date of death for those "missing" people for whom no other death record may exist.

I'm glad you brought this topic up because all too often people fail to look at these types of records. And they are indeed fascinating material in terms assembling an overview of a communities wealth, and who-was-who and who-was-not-who.

Craig