[APG Public List] Background on anywhere at any time...

Kate Foote kate at comm1net.net
Fri Aug 13 14:09:29 MDT 2010

Haven't been following this thread so forgive me if I am repetitious.

I have found some wonderful information in divorce, guardianship, and church records. Often descriptions of family social structure, finances, and "dysfunction" are spelled out in great detail. Since "Family Courts" did not specifically exist prior to the early 20th century, the records to search are "Circuit Court", as well as probate, of course. Do not be put off because someone died intestate, those estate settlements can be some of the most interesting. Land records will frequently contain provisions for the care of elderly parents (I have seen this pass from sibling, to sibling, to sibling!) And land divisions can be particularly detailed when you have a deceased who was married more than once and there are issue from one or more marriages.

Church records are valuable not only for birth/christening, marriage, and death; they can relate instances of censure, expulsion, relocation, and even deep discussions re the [acceptability] of individuals for membership, marriage, etc.

Newspapers should be a given. Even an event that happened in another country could have repercussions on a rural United States community, and the local political and financial news presents a picture of the general parameters of a given society. "Social" news sections can be invaluable in painting the color and depth of community functions and activities.

It's all out there - the author needs to be wide open to repositories and publications to enrich his, or her, narrative. Good luck!

Kate