[APG Public List] confusing Germany

Rolgeiger at aol.com Rolgeiger at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 00:39:40 MDT 2010

In einer eMail vom 05.08.2010 01:37:58 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com:

Sorry to be confusing.

Well, Jeanette, there is no need to say sorry - it is confusing. My first
couple of years of research concentrated on St. Wendel until 1800 - that was
 quite easy. Only one parish, all catholic, okay, all in Latin but once you
get  acquainted it's okay. Then I found the so-called civil records dealing
with all  kind of people not only catholic and it became confusing :-)

On genealogical side we are quite happy with the French and their
revolution - they brought us a good arranged system of notary files (not only as
public witness but as negotiator and maker of contracts) and the civil
records.  The Prussians copied that in 1876 for the rest of Germany but we got in
1798,  sometimes a little later.

Lots of data.

Roland Geiger, St. Wendel, Germany