[APG Public List] [APG Members] new family book "Die Einwohner der Stadt Saarlouis 1816 - 1...

Rolgeiger at aol.com Rolgeiger at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 15:27:28 MDT 2010

In einer eMail vom 04.08.2010 21:09:35 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com:

Are there plans for doing a "family book" for Saarland for  earlier years
back into the 1600s and 1700s?  I have family that  immigrated from there to
South Carolina about 1710.( That date is from memory  so it could be a
little later.)  Also, the area that was Saarland back  then is now part of the
adjacent county boundary (Rhineland??? again from  memory).

Well, no, and I don't think there ever will be one. Main problem is:
although the Saarland is the smallest of all our federal states, it nevertheless
is not small at all. Per 31st December 2009 we had 1,200,000 citizen
residing  here. What do you think about the size of a family book for all
Saarlanders ever  lived here?

Furthermore Saarland did not exist before 1919. The treaty of Versailles
after World War I fixed the borderlines of the region (more or less) which
then  was called "Saargebiet" (Saar District) and now is Saarland. But before
1919 big  parts of it belonged to Prussia, Bavaria and Oldenburg. Before
1834 part of  my own recent county St. Wendel belonged to Coburg and Oldenburg
(their  dukes got it at the Congress of Vienna in 1815 after helping defeat
Napoleon).  Before 1815 we were all part of France. Before 1800 St. Wendel
County belonged  to the Electorate of Trier (who was bishop and electorate in
one person) while  south easter Saarland belonged to Pfalz-Zweibruecken,
south western Saarland to  Nassau-Saarbruecken, the area around Tholey called
Amt Schaumburg first to  Lorraine = France, then to Pfalz-Saarbruecken as
well.

Uhm, about what are we talking?

Someone born in St. Wendel in 1770 was born in the town of St. Wendel, Amt
(no translation for that) St. Wendel (maybe district or even county),
Kurstift  (Electorate of) Trier, Heiliges Roemisches Reich Deutscher Nation (Holy
Roman  Empire of German Nation). Your ancestors must have been catholic to
reside  their. Protestants as well as Jews were not allowed to settle in
that area. One  of the reasons why there were only few emigrants from our area
in early 18th  Century. Emigrants from St. Wendel County mostly emigrated in
19th Century -  then from St. Wendel, Canton St. Wendel, Fuerstentum
Lichtenberg (bet. 1818 and  1834) or from St. Wendel, Canton St. Wendel, Preussen
(Prussia).

If you want to learn about your ancestors emigrating from our area you may
consult Werner Hacker's "Auswanderungen aus Rheinpfalz und Saarland im  18.
Jahrhundert" (Emigration from the Rheinpfalz and Saarland in 18th  Century)
to find where they came from. Well, and then you may engage a local
researcher :-)

Roland Geiger, St. Wendel, Germany