[APG Public List] Newborn Given Temporary Name?

beaverlbc at earthlink.net beaverlbc at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 1 20:14:21 MDT 2010

My husband's family had some very unique nicknames. The interesting thing
is in many cases, the current family does not know the real name. My
husband's great great grandmother's name according to the family was
"Leashie." Those still living today only knew the great great grandmother
as Leashie. All references to Hardy's wife (other than the marriage
license) was Leashie--the censuses, her tombstone. Even her obituary, once
I found it, said Leashie Bass. I had found 2 marriages for Hardy, her
husband, and we had problems determining which woman gave birth to my
husband's great grandmother. Hardy's first marriage license was to Tisha or
Ishia Byrd and his second (just a few years later) was to Malissa
Greenwood. The nickname Leashie could fit either one of these names. Once I
found Leashie Bass's obituary, we found our answer, even though the title
read Leashie Bass. At the bottom of the obit was a reference to a surviving
brother, John Greenwood.  It took a full day of looking at microfilm copies
of old newspapers to find the obit.

Laurie Roberts Caulk