[APG Public List] Newborn Given Temporary Name?

Susan Michael widget at carolina.rr.com
Sun Aug 1 13:23:30 MDT 2010

My grandmother was the youngest of 16 children. Her closest sister was
number 14 and their parents could not agree on a name for her. They
nicknamed her "Cricket" and that is how the family referred to her until the
day she died (well, actually we still refer to her as Aunt "Cricket"). Her
first census appearance was in 1900 as Elsabeth Griffin. She named herself
Alma Maude and had that name recorded in the family bible. In 1910, she is
enumerated as Alma Griffin. And ever after, in official records, she appears
as Alma. But, she makes that one appearance as Elsabeth which could throw
researchers off.

Also, one of my great-grandmothers, Lillie Jane (Sessions) Drury, was
enumerated along with her twin sister, Mary Jane (Sessions) Taylor, in 1870
as "No Name" Sessions. They were age 2 at the time. Somehow, I think they
had names after 2 years. All of the older children had their correct names.
By 1880, they were enumerated properly.

Who knows why families did these things. By the time I was born in the
1950s, the hospital wouldn't let Mama take me home until I had a name on the
birth certificate.

Susan Michael, PLCGS
Monroe, NC