[APG Public List] Genealogical Societies

Charles S. Mason, Jr. cgrs791 at netscape.com
Tue Apr 6 16:12:06 MDT 2010

Nancy,

I have seen several people with very good answers reply already.  So I will
add to what they have already said.  Societies need to meet the needs of
their members.  One of the ways to find out if you are doing this is to do a
survey of your members.  Ask questions that are geared to specific answers,
not general answers.  For example one of the societies I belong to here in
VA has held a spring seminar/conference every year for over 35 years.  In
the past we had one nationally know speaker.  About 10-12 years ago we
realized that a number of our members did not attend the conference.  We
asked on the survey did the member attend the seminar/conference?  If they
did not attend why did they not attend.  The two answers we received were
the content was too advanced for me and I am a beginner and the lectures
were too advanced.  As a result we added additional tracks including a
beginning one and some more intermediate lectures.

I am not sure if I can find a copy of the survey we did.  I will look and if
you would like a copy I can send it to you.

Chuck Mason