[APG Public List] Genealogical Societies

Jo Arnspiger jarnspiger at cableone.net
Tue Apr 6 13:45:27 MDT 2010

My two cents also:

I think there is still a place and a need for all these local genealogical societies but as with all things they have to keep up with the times to be effective.  IMO here are some things a society could do to increase their visibility and possible member base:  have a group on Facebook where members and interested non-members could communicate and possibly ask questions.  For sure have a website and use it to showcase and share their holdings.   Have a blog which could augment their quarterly publication and possibly  modeled after the Eastman blog, where some of the content is free and the really good stuff is by subscription. The cost involved in getting something like this up and running is quickly recouped by saving postage and paper supplies.  These are just a few thoughts, I'm sure there are lots more.

BTW, I really enjoy reading these maillist.  Thank you to all of you who contribute and share your expertise with the rest of us.

Researching in Arizona,
Jo