[APG Public List] Genealogical Societies

Joel S. Russell joelsr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:40:54 MDT 2010

I'm going to throw in my two cents.

I've been involved in genealogy for over 30 years and I've been a
member of numerous genealogical societies across the
country.  Originally it was the only place to find others also
interested in genealogy with whom to talk and get advice from.  It
was also the point of contact when I had research in a particular
locality in which I didn't live.  The Internet now allows me to find
many more people interested in genealogy.  People who are researching
the same or similar areas or families that I am.  There is also a lot
of information (including a tremendous amount of bad information)
available from on-line resources.  Also, for a person like me who
joined societies in other parts of the country, I relied on that
periodical publication to assist my research and post queries.  I can
now post a query anytime of day or night and reach a much larger
audience.  Finally, and this again is just my experience, the
majority of societies that I belonged to had no interest in using the
Internet or finding out ways it could enhance the society.  Instead
they ignored it and saw it only as a threat.

I'm still a member of a couple of societies, but only ones local to
me in which I can attend a meeting.

Joel
http://www.rafert.org/home