[APG Public List] Genealogical Societies

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Mon Apr 5 15:36:29 MDT 2010

If you build it, they will come.

IOW, if a society provides a service of perceived value, people will be
willing to pay dues. These include member only benefits including newsletter
content, website content or access to subscription sites, research help
(queries or actual help), program (and how to reach geographically diverse
members), volunteer opportunities (such as compiling records), and social
opportunities (excursions to repositories, etc.).

And of course don't say that the Internet stole your members -- BE on the
internet if that is where the people are.

-- Elissa
Former president of two local societies

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com