[APG Public List] Ancestry Public Trees Use of Census Ages pre-1850

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Mon Apr 5 15:19:04 MDT 2010

Ancestry Family Trees calculate ages at the events in a person's
life based on the year of birth entered into the "Birth" field. The age
actually provided on the attached source document is not taken into
consideration. Ancestry Family Trees will not calculate ages in
uncertain terms such as "about" or "between".

Ancestry Family Trees will calculate the age at the time of later events
based on the year of birth whether the year  of birth is provided as a
single year such as 1780 or if the year is expressed as "about 1780",
"before 1780", or "after 1780".

To prevent Ancestry Family Trees from automatically calculating the age
based on the birth date, one must either delete the birth date completely
or provide a range of years such as "between 1779-1780".

Stephen J. Danko, PhD, PLCGS
http://www.stephendanko.com/