[APG Public List] Census

J.O.S. N. judynewman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:56:57 MDT 2009

Last week I was at a Constitution Day Program and because we have a census
year coming up and because the census is one of the few activities mandated
in the constitution the the census was the topic.

We have all heard about the census undercounts in recent years but what
fascinated me was the size of the overcount. As genealogists we are all
familiar with people who appear twice in the same census because of moving
or temporarily away from home. According to the census representative on the
panal the estimated overcount is nearly as large as the estimated
undercount. Apparently people with second homes receive a form at their
second home as well as their primary home and many return both forms.

Judy Newman
Montgomery County MD