[APG Public List] Census Problems?

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 12:03:32 MDT 2009

--- On Fri, 9/25/09, Israel P <IsraelP at pikholz.org> wrote:

> Seems to me way too early to conclude that this man's death is related
> to his job with the Census Bureau. Maybe. Maybe not.

     Personally, I am at a loss to explain the word "fed" written on the body in any other way.
     However, that does not prove my interpretation is correct. Even if I am wrong, couldn't even the _perception_ that he might have been killed for this reason, the worry over a danger that might or might not be real, affect how diligently other Census employees perform their work in this area? I am not accusing Census employees of deliberately slacking - but if we are honest, we know as genealogists, our emotions and perceptions can easily get in the way of our best efforts to research some problems. I doubt Census employees are immune to this.
     And again, whatever the reality of this case proves to be, the real significance is the fact it left me wondering if such a thing has ever happened before. Or if fear alone ever limited coverage of, say, the Five Points area of New York. I think wishing to know the potential limitations of census coverage in certain areas is reasonable even if the press account of this case turns out to be horribly misleading and the real motive for the murder something totally unrelated.
                            Ray Beere Johnson II