[APG Public List] Census Problems?

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 09:30:54 MDT 2009

     Grim as it is, this story also makes me wonder <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_re_us/us_census_worker_hanged> whether anything like this has ever happened before, and whether murder, or fear of violence, has ever meant less thorough coverage of particular areas. I'm sure the Census Bureau would officially deny this, but that may or may not have any link with reality.
     It is a hugely relevant question for genealogists. Take the Five Points area of New York City - I can't imagine Census workers had an easy time there during the early 1800s. And that is just the first famous example that comes to mind. Today, the government has large amounts of other somewhat accurate data they can easily cross reference census information against - but in the past, this was not always the case.
     Are there any books, articles, or studies which would indicate which areas, during which time periods, were likely to have less than ideal coverage? How many people, of what classes, might have been overlooked for various reasons?
                             Ray Beere Johnson II