[APG Public List] Genealogical vs. Non-Genealogical

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Sep 23 08:51:45 MDT 2009

It's been an interesting discussion.  Just to add a comment on the Private Investigator's end of things. In most Canadian jurisdictions the only requirements for a Private Investigator's license are that you pay a small annual fee and agree to annual background checks.  That's it.  Fill in the form and you get your card in the mail.

I think the idea behind the license is more about bureaucratic and security concerns, at least in Canadian jurisdictions (it's sometimes twinned with licenses for security guards, for example), and has very little to do with the work that is done by those holding one.  No training or other qualifications are required here to hold a license.

It does provide some general regulations (falls usually under security legislation) and it does give clients somewhere to complain, but it doesn't signify a profession in any sense of the word. Nor does it set controls over types of work or searches conducted.

Larry