[APG Public List] Genealogical vs. Non-Genealogical

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 08:42:17 MDT 2009

Kathy and John,

Thank you for the summary and comments.  I believe that genealogists involved in this type of research (searching for living non-related people or heirs of deceased persons - depending upon what is needed for the client) are regulated as Missing Heirs Researchers or Private Investigators according to various state laws.  This use of genealogical research skills involves use of lawyers, private investigators, and genealogists (and possibly other types of professionals) working together for a common goal.  That goal may involve closing an intestate estate or finding lost family members.  Usually it does not involve finding others who are not directly related to the case unless needed as witnesses, etc.

Whenever I personally have been approached to find a lost girlfriend, adoptive parents, etc., I have been very concerned about the real reason for finding these people.  I've been surprised even by helping others to trace families in the 1930s and 1920s censuses - later to discover that there were alternative motives (not good).  I agree with John that there needs to be licensing and state regulations followed when any type of research is done to find those who are still very much alive or to find the heirs of newly deceased individuals.

Thank you for providing an interesting, pertinent question on the APG list.

Jeanette