[APG Public List] Genealogical vs. Non-genealogical

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sun Sep 20 11:10:14 MDT 2009

That could be the case, but if they had the ability to follow and monitor
me, it's more likely that they could simply find the target individual on
their own.  At least with an intermediary contacting someone, that person
would become aware that they are being sought.  We could identify all kinds
of possibilities, but one has to at least realize that some of these
suggestions would be very very rare and unlikely.  It would shut down
biological parent searches.  There has to be some sort of balance in these
things.  My approach puts more than enough reasonable safe guards in place.
It doesn't exhaust all possibilities, nor could it, but it probably exceeds
most privacy safeguards in place legally.  I'm comfortable with it.

But technology is evolving so fast.  If Photo Find on Facebook becomes more
powerful eventually, than one could work with only a photograph and if the
target it was on facebook, maybe at least narrow down an identity to a
smaller number of possibilities.  I could see you in the street and snap
your photo without you knowing, and then if you're on Facebook (or an
identified photo of you is on Facebook already....)

You can't protect yourself (or your clients, or the individuals being
searched for) from every possible outcome.  You can only strike a reasonable
balance.  Some of this "dangers" could arise even in true genealogical
searches.  There are no limits on human creativity, for nefarious purposes
or otherwise.  We have to work in the real world.

Larry