[APG Public List] Genealogical vs. Non-genealogical

Suzanne Prosnier sprosnier at cox.net
Sun Sep 20 08:57:00 MDT 2009

Searching for living relatives of a deceased person (heir searching) for
settlement of an estate is a legitimate endeaor for any genealogist.
Searching for people in general, with no information regarding the
relationship (kinship) is not valid genealogically. Here is a word of
caution. Several years ago I attended  a two day seminar held by an Arizona
Group , Confidential Intermediaries, that works directly with the courts
regarding adoptions.   Several different speakers gave warnings, (with
examples of cases) regarding sinister motives of some people trying to
contact living persons: convicted rapists recently released from prison, or
"dead beat"  dads who had lost custody of their children , etc. Some of the
examples  were very egregious and put the researcher at risk.  Be careful.
Suzanne Prosnier, CG