[APG Public List] Sythe and Cradle

Kathy Gunter Sullivan sully1 at carolina.rr.com
Sat Sep 19 12:46:04 MDT 2009

With no agricultural background, I looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_(grain)
In about 1800 the addition of light wooden fingers above a scythe blade
produced *a form of scythe called the cradle* which soon replaced the
simple scythe for reaping grain and mowing other tall vegetation such as
reeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_(grain) [has a line drawing of a cradle]
Reaping with a scythe before the invention of the cradle readily
resulted in the grain forming a muddled carpet on the field, making
gathering and transport time-consuming. [Just as Jean describes.]

In 1794, a Scottish farmer invented "a most marvellous and wonderful
machine for cutting grain" [1]. This was the cradle, which
revolutionized the harvesting of grains.

(The American cradle) The cradle was commonly used throughout the 1800s
and into the beginning of the 20th century ...