[APG Public List] Genealogical vs. Non-genealogical

Kathy Gunter Sullivan sully1 at carolina.rr.com
Sat Sep 19 12:34:20 MDT 2009

I can't locate the earlier message in the list archives, but the
question was about a persistent potential client who would not take "no"
for an answer. The message included a comment that finding living people
is not genealogy (I'm paraphrasing from memory). There were a couple of
subsequent remarks focused on the part about whether finding living
people is or is not genealogy. I believe Roland stated that after
establishing kinship, locating living descendants is a genealogical
endeavor (I agree).

Finally, here is my question. If a potential client wants to locate an
old buddy or a former girlfriend or neighbor (kinship not involved),
would you consider that search to be what a professional genealogist
does? I have my own opinion, but want to hear your consensus.

Kathy
Charlotte, North Carolina